Title: 12 Rivers Conservation Initiative Project Coordinator
Term: Part-time, temporary position
Hours/week: 3-10, average 6
Location: Serving 12 Rivers service area in midcoast Maine. Majority of work can be performed remotely. Successful candidate will be able to meet in person in midcoast Maine for quarterly Steering meetings
The 12 Rivers Conservation Initiative is a Regional Conservation Partnership created in 2011 to advance the pace of conservation in midcoast Maine. The Initiative includes seven independent land trusts, and is governed by a Steering Committee, comprised of representatives from each partner land trust. Our mission is to accelerate the rate of conservation from the Kennebec River to the Passawassawakeag River. Our goals are to: maintain and promote biodiversity; promote connectivity of large habitat blocks, support wildland habitat protection and working lands conservation across the landscape; integrate regional outdoor trails and other recreational opportunities; and maintain areas where plants and animals can survive with change.
Our vision is a network of conserved lands that protects midcoast Maine’s ecosystems and ensures multiple human benefits for generations to come.
Summary of Position
The 12 Rivers Conservation Initiative Project Coordinator will play an essential role in coordinating the efforts of the seven partner land trusts to move forward the work of the Initiative. The Coordinator will schedule and support all 12 Rivers meetings, including the Steering Committee and any ad hoc subcommittees, and will maintain a view of the overall progress of the Initiative. The Coordinator will provide research, produce written materials, write grants and provide other varied support as requested by the Committees. The Coordinator will act as the point of contact for the Initiative.
The Coordinator will report to both the Chair of the Initiative and the Fiscal Agent for the Initiative, who speak on behalf of members of the Steering Committee.
The primary responsibility of the Coordinator is to provide organizational support for the 12 Rivers Conservation Initiative including:
- Coordination and Operational Support: Support Steering and ad hoc Committee meetings, including scheduling of remote and in-person meetings. Support periodic coordination of workshops, trainings, field trips, and Board gatherings for 12 Rivers member organizations. Work with Chair to prepare agendas and take, review and distribute minutes. Act as staff support for the Initiative, including research of assigned topics and distributing pertinent documents, and assisting with any other tasks requested by the Committees.(65%)
- Operations Fundraising: Research operations grant opportunities, contact and coordinate with foundation funders, produce grant proposals and progress reports as requested. (15%)
- Serve as liaison to partners, and as point of contact for funding applications. (10%)
- Communications management, including: joint events calendars, press releases, presentations, 1-pagers, images, testimonials, operational materials, talking points (10%).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and without close supervision
- Strong organizational ability and attention to detail
- Experience with complex project administration and coordination
- A minimum of a college degree and demonstrated experience in either natural resources or land conservation
- Knowledge of Maine land conservation organizations and programs
- Familiarity with natural resource conservation planning, strategic land conservation planning, including in relation to climate change
- Experience with outreach and public relations
- Ability to cultivate and maintain relationships with diverse partners
- Computer proficiency, especially with Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with the midcoast Maine region